Vive les Samples! Geosample data management and visualization for the discerning geochemist
You've invested tremendous time, effort, resources, and sweat (maybe some blood) in collecting and analyzing the samples that are the foundation of your science. How can you maximize their scientific impact through data visualization? How can you ensure that they realize their full scientific potential even after you’ve wrung all you can from them? This workshop will be of interest to every geochemist who collects samples of any type - rocks, water, sediments, soils, gases - and has an interest in extending the impact of those samples. Specifically, we will:
• step through the process of registering your samples with a unique and persistent identifier that will forever link them to you and all the data and publications associated with them;
• review some best practices for keeping your samples safe and accessible for the long term;
• demonstrate easy-to-implement techniques for effectively communicating through visualization the rich information resource your samples represent;
• Identify relevant institutional repositories for your sample data;
• discuss how professional organizations and publishers are facilitating information connectivity and responsible management
• demonstrate how sample data management can serve as the basis of a great Data Management Plan.